Gloversville Fire Hospitalizes Apartment Tenants

A fire occurred in Gloversville Friday morning, and the fire chief says both firefighters and police helped save the lives of four people who were trapped inside.

The fire broke out at 25 Grand Street.

Gloversville Fire Chief Tom Groff spoke with News Channel 13.

He says there were no working smoke detectors in the building.

"The smoke is what puts you to sleep, so if you don't smell the smoke, or hear the commotion, or have some other way of waking up, that alert from the smoke detector puts you behind the 8 ball immediately; a fire doubles in size every 30 seconds."

Officials helped 3 people trapped inside the two-story apartment, with thick black smoke billowing out of the structure.

2 of the 4 people initially taken to Nathan Littauer Hospital, were airlifted to Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse for treatment.

Groff says he expects those hospitalized to recover.

Photo: Getty Images

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content