If you broke the bank with back to school supplies for your kids, you can breath a sigh of relief because there are a few things that you can get a deal on in September.
1. Mattresses. Mattresses are a popular Labor Day sale item. You can also get big savings on other furniture and appliances.
2. iPhones. Apple reportedly plans to announce their new iPhones on September 12th, so last year's model should be selling for a discount.
3. Plane tickets. Prices for plane tickets for travel during Thanksgiving and Christmas will increase throughout October, November, and December. So if you know you need to fly somewhere, book it now.
4. Grills. It is unofficially the end of summer which for most means the end of cookouts. So you can get a grill usually around 40-60% off. And now is the time to buy lawnmowers and lawn furniture too.
5. Broadway Tickets. If you want to take a trip to the city, Broadway Week is September 3 through September 16. You can take advantage of a buy two tickets for the price of one sale for select shows.
6. Cars. If you don't need a current car model, now is the time to buy last year's model. They are taking up space on dealers' lots and they'll want to move them out to make room for next year's lineup.
7. Bikes. Like cars, new bikes will be making their debut so retailers will be looking to get rid of old stock.
8. Plants. With cool weather on the way, garden centers will be stocking up on fall and holiday plants. This makes September the perfect time for fill out your landscaping with perennials.
Avoid buying TV's. They'll go on sale in November on Black Friday and in January for the Superbowl. Also, don't buy Halloween costumes just yet because they'll be marked down the closer it gets to October 31st. And wait on anything marketed as 'fall fashion' as that will go on sale in about two months.
Photo: Getty Images