There seems to be a trend with parents now wanting to gift their children experiences instead of material objects that will only stimulate them for a short period of time before being thrown aside. Experiences provide lasting memories for kids and their families. Some parents are even asking other family members, like grandparents to participate by giving experiences instead of new toys or money. If you need a few ideas, here's a list to get you started.
Lessons are a great experience gift to give kids. Not all lessons are age appropriate for each kid though, so make sure to check before buying. Some local craft stores also do various activities throughout the year for low or no cost.
- Acting Classes
- Photography/Graphic Design
- Kids Cooking
- Tae Kwon Do
Memberships are gifts that can be utilized more than once and sometimes for the entire year. There are a lot of local places that have memberships that are able to be purchased.
- Amusement Park
- Fitness or Community Center
- Boys and Girls Club
The whole family can benefit from experience gifts too by creating quality family time. Subscription boxes are a great idea.
- Monthly subscription boxes. There are all types of monthly subscription boxes from cosmetics and cooking to crafts and date night.
- Family movie night. Create a gift basket full of movie snacks like popcorn and raisinets, add a cozy blanket and family friendly movie and you're good to go.
- Create a scavenger hunt. Send the kids on a scavenger hunt in your home or community that gifts the winner a prize.
- Charter a boat. A day of swimming, fishing and relaxing on the water makes a great gift. Some boat rental companies come with a captain or guide so you don't need to know how to sail. Take it a step further and book a family cruise.
- Homemade gift certificates. Gift a night of babysitting so that mom and dad can have a date night.
- Gift Cards to restaurants, the movies or ice cream shops. The whole family can enjoy spending the night at the movies.
- Tickets to a concert, sporting event or theater performance. If your child's favorite band is coming to town, why not gift them with a pair (or more) of tickets.
Photo: Getty Images