The New Year is here which means some new laws… from the serious to the sublime. Several states – including California - are imposing stricter gun laws. More than 20 are raising the minimum wage for 2019.
- In New York, all new public men's and women's bathrooms will now be required to have diaper changing tables.
- As for tax laws, 2019 will be the first year under the Trump tax reform bill. The new tax law lowered tax rates for most, however it doubled the standard deduction and limited or overhauled many itemized deductions.
- Looking to move? Vermont is offering folks employed by out-of-state companies and willing to work remotely from Vermont $10-thousand to put down stakes there.
- Hawaii now allows terminally ill and suffering patients to end their lives with the help of a doctor. It is the sixth state to legalize physician-assisted suicide.
- In Connecticut, employers can no longer ask for a salary history.
- Florida is restoring the voting rights of all former felons except those convicted of murder or a felony sexual offense.
- Are you one of the parents infuriated that your kids aren’t learning cursive? Check out Ohio – where a new state law will require students to be able to write in cursive by the end of fifth grade.
Photo: Getty Images