Many men participate in movember or no-shave-ember where they don't shave their beards for the month of November. Those that participate do so to promote men's health issues like prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and suicide.
However, it shouldn't just be a free for all. There are rules... according to a barber.
- Start fresh faced - Shave before you begin so you have a fresh face.
- It's okay to cheat - It's okay to clean up the edges around your cheek and neck lines.
- Have your products ready - You need shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, and oil.
- Those products will prevent scruff - to prevent irritation once your bear starts getting longer use the oil. And be sure to moisturize.
- Perseverance is key - growing a beard or mustache doesn't happen overnight.
- You don't have to go full mustache - you can trim the beard sides until you achieve the appearance you like.
- Have an end goal - At the end of movember, if you like what you see, all you'll need to do is maintain it.
- Remember why you're doing it - don't give into temptation to shave, remember why you're doing it.
Photo: Getty Images